Monday, February 17, 2014

Menu Monday #42

Reading a Cars book  #explainingthepicturescounts ;)
We spent a lot of time at home again this past week. With the threat of snow looming, schools preemptively canceled classes on Wednesday. The snow finally started falling at 1 pm, so they really could have gone to school that day for at least a 1/2 day. Sigh. Once the snow started falling, though, it just kept coming all day, and night. We ended up getting at least 7-10" total, so school was cancelled for the rest of the week. We kept busy at the house reading, watching Caillou, and playing in the snow with Daddy! Sadly, that meant the boys missed their Valentine's Day parties at school on Thursday, but Ethan will have his today, and Noah will have his tomorrow.

The snow plow actually made its way through here this time, though, and we weren't trapped in the house for days like we were last time. Regardless, we ended up staying in Friday night and cooking here, to avoid the crowds at restaurants for Valentine's Day. I made my guys some special heart-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches (yay for no crusts! haha!) and tomato soup. For dessert, chocolate-covered strawberries and marshmallows. Yum!! Josh surprised me with a dozen gorgeous red roses! Thanks, sweetie! :)

On Saturday morning, we were in a hurry to get to a birthday party, so it was a cereal day. For dinner, we tried a new restaurant, The Peerless. We started with the flaming cheese. The boys enjoyed watching as they set it ablaze table side! I had a bowl of my favorite soup, lobster bisque. It had good flavor, but lacked the nice big chunks of lobster meat that I love. For my main course, I had a filet with a baked crumb & walnut apple on the side. It was delicious and the steak was cooked perfectly. Josh had the prime rib with sautéed sherry mushrooms. He enjoyed both. It was a nice evening out with my guys.

On Sunday morning, we were up with plenty of time before church, so I made one more Valentine's Day treat for my guys. Red velvet pancakes with a cream cheese topping. Heavenly! The boys must have enjoyed them, because they each gobbled up 3 pancakes!! I used a simple Bisquick base, then added some cocoa, sugar, and Red Velvet bakery emulsion for flavor and color. For the topping, I softened some cream cheese and added powdered sugar and vanilla extract.


Sunday: Out to eat
Yong Asian House - I had chicken and steak teriyaki with steamed rice and sautéed onion and zucchini. Yum!

MondayAlmond crusted tilapia, brown rice, roasted asparagus
This is a tasty new fish dish that we tried at the beginning of the year. The crispy almond/breadcrumb mixture paired with the richness of the butter and oil is delicious, and perfect on this light, flaky fish.

TuesdayHoney mustard baked chicken tenders, smashed potatoes with parmesan gremolata, roasted broccoli
We've only had these chicken tenders once, but they had great flavor, so I'll make them again. This time I'm going to try this new recipe for smashed potatoes that sounds good! Broccoli will round out the plate.

WednesdaySeared pork chops, roasted butternut squash, toasted pine nut couscous with cranberries
Yes, my favorite pork meal again. I should probably try something new, but the boys do such a great job eating this one, and it's so easy, that it finds its way into the rotation often! ;)

Thursday: Tomato basil pasta
We all love this simple, yet flavorful, pasta dish. I may try adding some grilled chicken strips this time to get some protein.

Friday: On the road
We'll be on our way to my sister's house, so we'll be stopping to eat somewhere on the way.

Saturday: TBD
We'll be celebrating my niece's 2nd birthday! :)


What's on your menu this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)