Monday, July 29, 2013

Meatless Monday: Tomato Basil Pasta

I found this gem of a recipe on a Facebook friend's page over a month ago. It looked so tasty in the pictures, that I had to give it a try! The original recipe can be found at the Apron Strings blog. I
made a few slight changes to the recipe, and we all really liked it, so I'll probably stick with it that way. :) What is most awesome about this dish...it's quick, easy, and uses just one pot!! Let's be real here, washing dishes is no favorite past time of mine, and I'm sure I can speak for most others to say the same. I also love the minimal amount of sauce in this dish. As I've stated in other posts, I don't like lots of sauce on my pasta, and this one has the perfect amount. It is also one of hubby's favorites and the kids gobble it up!! It's a winner!

Tomato Basil Pasta | more than 9 to 5: my life as "Mom"



Tomato Basil Pasta
(serves 4-6 as an entrée)

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz linguine, broken in half to fit in pot better
  • 1-2 cans diced tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
  • 1 medium sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
  • 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 large sprigs basil, chopped, or 2 tsp dried basil leaves
  • 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • Salt and pepper, as desired
  • Shredded parmesan, for garnish
Directions:
Turn your burner to high. Place the pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and basil in a large pot. Pour in the vegetable broth. Sprinkle the red pepper flakes and oregano on top. Drizzle with the EVOO.

Tomato Basil Pasta | more than 9 to 5: my life as "Mom"

Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered, cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid has evaporated/reduced.

Season to taste with salt and pepper, stirring to distribute any extra liquid. Serve garnished with shredded parmesan cheese. This dish is excellent served with some fresh French bread to soak up every bit of the yummy sauce!

Tomato Basil Pasta | more than 9 to 5: my life as "Mom"

It also gets even better the next day, after all the flavors have been given more time to meld together. Yay for yummy leftovers! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)