Monday, November 12, 2012

Menu Monday #26

An unexpected death in the family had us traveling to Ohio this weekend. Josh's Mamaw, his mother's mother, went to a better place on Tuesday. So, we made our way to his parents' house on Thursday to be with his family. The calling hours were on Friday and the funeral was on Saturday. Everything was very beautiful. Though it wasn't how one hopes to bring everyone together, it was nice to see everyone. It was the first time in a couple years we had everyone together from hubby's immediate family, so we had to get a picture!

All of the Seeley's!
Almost all of hubby's mom's extended family
On Friday night, we went to one of Josh's favorites from when he was young, Fred's Pizza. We enjoyed some cheesy bread with spicy sauce and a pepperoni pan pizza. Yum! I haven't had a pan pizza like that since I was a kid. Nice soft, thick crust, with a crusty exterior. Great flavor too! We gobbled it up. The boys were super cute at dinner, too! :)


On Saturday, we were fed by the wonderful ladies at the church. We gathered for a meal and fellowship after the funeral service.

On Sunday afternoon, we had a Thanksgiving meal at my in-laws' house, since not everyone will be together to celebrate in a couple of weeks. We gathered around the table and stuffed our faces with turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, beans, corn and biscuits. Yum!

Sunday: Fred's pizza
Ethan really liked dinner Friday night. So much so, that he wanted to go back to Fred's. Haha! It was great pizza, so we didn't mind, and everyone joined us this time. :)

Monday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup
Since we were on the road, I wanted something fairly easy to make when we arrived home. I threw my ingredients in the bread machine and let it go to work to get some fresh French bread ready. I used provolone cheese and Amy's organic tomato soup. A nice comfort food meal for a cold, rainy day. 

Side Note: It's so crazy how different the boys can be when it comes to some things. Ethan was happy to be spoon-fed until he was over 2 years old. Noah, on the other hand, is quite independent and throws a fit if he can't feed himself!! Tonight, he insisted upon feeding himself his tomato soup. Fortunately, he did a pretty decent job of it. I guess each presents its own challenges - having to feed a child is time-consuming and makes it hard to eat your own meal, but letting a child do it themselves makes for a lengthy clean-up time! Haha! It still amazes me daily to see how big Noah is getting!

Tuesday: Chicken capri over brown rice, oven roasted asparagus
A tasty meal, it will be nice for another cold day. I slice my chicken breasts thin and pan fry them in a little EVOO first, then top them with a ricotta cheese mixture, crushed tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. This is baked to melt the cheese and served over the rice, to soak up all the juices.

Wednesday: Grilled pork chops, coucous with toasted pine nuts, roasted butternut squash
With our plans changing last week, we didn't get to eat this meal, so I'll defrost the pork chops and we'll have it this week!

Thursday: Chicken quesadillas, spicy cilantro corn
The boys love these. Who doesn't love gooey, melted cheese in a warm, whole-wheat tortilla? I'll use mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, diced red pepper and onion.

Another meal we didn't make, so we'll have it this week.

Saturday: Out to eat
I'm still in the mood for some Indian food! Hopefully we will enjoy some this weekend!

Happy meal planning to you this week! It will hopefully be a decent week of weather for us, after an unseasonably warm weekend in the 70s. I hope things are looking good in your neck of the woods, too!

If you haven't done so yet, please check out my business blog or Facebook page and my friend, Meredith's blog! She is hosting a giveaway this week where two of her readers will win one of my custom Christmas card designs! :)

2 comments:

  1. I think it's so amazing that after coming back from your funeral trip, you are still able to put together an awesome menu like this! And again, I'm sorry for the loss of your husband's grandmother. Thanks again for sponsoring the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it helped that a couple days were already planned from last week and that I had 4 long hours in the car yesterday to plan! Haha! Thank you so much. It was rough, but we know she is in a better place now! Thanks again for hosting it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)