Monday, June 25, 2012

Menu Monday #6

I'm trying to get an earlier start on this today as I have lots to accomplish before Noah's one year pictures tomorrow. Yes, I said ONE YEAR! Yikes, where does the time go!?! I finished up making a "one" onesie for him last night and now I need to get going on his smash cake today. That should be fun! :) Let's hope I don't "taste test" too much of that cake, as I am now down TEN pounds from when I started my diet lifestyle change about a month and half ago! Woo hoo!! That officially puts me back to my pre-Ethan pregnancy weight. Yay!! While I am happy to have finally accomplished this again, I know that I still have a long way to go to get where I want to be. Let's just hope I can do that before I go and get preggo again! haha!

I am happy to report that last week's raspberry "mayo" turned out great using Greek yogurt as a substitution! I didn't really measure anything out when I made it, but just used consistency to guide me instead. The meal was fantastic and I had one happy hubby with lots of leftovers! :)

For breakfast on Saturday morning, I made our favorite, Whole Wheat Banana Bread Pancakes. These have quickly made their way to the top of our favorite breakfast items list and everyone enjoys gobbling these up before we start our day. We also finally made it to our local farmers market this Saturday, but next time we'll try to go earlier in the morning (instead of waiting until after Noah's morning nap). By the time we made it there around 12:30, quite a few of the vendors had already packed up and left and most of the others were starting to do the same. It was H-O-T, so I can't blame them! They open up at 7 am, so I think we'll just head there after the kids are up and grab some of the homemade donuts I spotted for breakfast! Yum. We did grab some hot dogs and Polish sausages for lunch from one of the vendors for a tasty lunch while we browsed the goods. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet planned my menu for the week at that point, so I didn't really have anything specific in mind that I wanted to get, but wanted to see what was there. I did end up grabbing some local honey before we left. Aside from tasting great, it's helpful for combating allergies, so I like to take advantage of that when I can. :) After our warm outing, we decided a pool day was in order, so we enjoyed that for the rest of the afternoon until nap time.

On Saturday night, we ended up eating the BBQ Chicken Bacon Pizza I had planned for Friday night, as we had eaten out on Friday. We were craving meat, so we decided to visit our local Smokey Bones. We like their BBQ options, so it was a tasty choice. Unfortunately, it was not diet-friendly at all. I ended up eating more than a day's worth of calories in just one meal! Yikes!! For future reference, their corn side dish has a lot more calories than one would think. :( After checking out their nutrition info (after the fact, oops!), I now have the knowledge to make healthier choices should we choose to eat there again.

On Sunday morning, I decided to make a Vanilla Dutch Baby again. I had a package of strawberries to use, so with that in mind, I decided to make a spin on crepes suzette. We first had that tasty dish for breakfast at our hotel (Hotel AVIA) when we were in Savannah, celebrating our five-year anniversary, a couple years ago. Hard to believe we are coming up on seven years in just a few weeks! So, I sliced up some strawberries and simmered them with some orange juice and a little bit of sugar. I topped the Dutch baby with this mixture. It was delicious!

Sunday: Crescent pizza roll-ups with pizza sauce for dipping
This is an easy, fun one for the kiddos. I tried it a few months ago after finding it on Pinterest and it was a hit. Not diet food by any means, but a quick dinner that gets gobbled up by all. I always loved crescent rolls as a kid, so not surprising that I like these so much!

Monday: Pan-seared honey-roasted Cajun almond encrusted tilapia over brown rice and oven roasted parmesan broccoli
I like mixing up the protein we eat every week (i.e., chicken, pork, fish, beef), so I try to include seafood for at least one meal every week. I have been on a tilapia kick lately because it has been so tasty! This week I am going to try encrusting it with some of our favorite nuts (smashed up into tiny pieces, of course) for even more flavor! I went for broccoli instead of asparagus this week (the two side dishes I prefer most with my seafood).

TuesdayMelt in Your Mouth Baked Chicken, whole wheat rotini, parmesan stir-fried green beans
We need something nice and easy before pictures, so this fits the bill perfectly. You can quickly get this chicken prepared and into the oven to bake. The side dishes are no brainers as well. 

Wednesday: BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with baked sweet potato fries
I am going to try a new technique for making pulled pork that I found on one of my favorite food blogs. I have half of a pork tenderloin leftover from last week, in the freezer. I will thaw this out and throw it in the Crockpot with a can of Coca-Cola to cook all day. Once it is done, I'll shred it and top it with our favorite BBQ sauce, Montgomery Inn. I bought some buns from the Fresh Market bakery to use to make sandwiches for this dish. On the side, some tasty fries, which will probably be accompanied with my spicy ketchup mix or additional BBQ sauce. :)

Thursday: Cracker Barrel grilled chicken tenderloin with oven roasted parmesan red potatoes and steamed white corn
This will be a new recipe I am trying that I found on Pinterest. I seriously order these chicken tenders (on toasted sourdough bread) EVERY time I eat dinner at Cracker Barrel. Yes, I like them that much! So, I was thrilled to find this recipe a couple weeks ago! It looks super easy, so I hope that I am happy with the results. For a side, I'll dice up some red potatoes, sprinkle with EVOO, salt & pepper, Mrs. Dash's garlic seasoning and a little grated Parmesan cheese. I bake these at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes. They have great flavor.

Friday: On the road again!
We are headed to Ohio again for the weekend, so dinner will probably be eaten on the road!

Saturday: I am guessing we'll go for Chipotle!
We will be indulging in all kinds of yumminess at a family reunion during the day, but I am sure we will try to sneak in some Chipotle while we can for dinner! ;)


Happy meal planning to everyone this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)