Saturday, May 12, 2012

Wonderful Ways to Start the Day!

I have been holding on to these awesome breakfast recipes for way too long now. I thought it would be fitting to share them before Mother's Day in case you want to make one of them for a special mom in your life. :) Breakfast in bed and Mother's Day seem to go hand in hand and I know that I would love to wake up to either of these options on Sunday morning! Hint, hint if you're reading this, darling hubby. ;)

The first recipe is one that I found when a friend posted a link to it on Facebook last fall. I had pinned it, and tried it at that time, but hadn't made it again until a couple months ago. I remembered to snap a few pics that time, so it's time to share now. Warning: This dish is not a diet-friendly dish. I don't even want to know how many calories are in it, but I do know that it is incredibly delicious!! The original recipe came from the Recipe Girl. I used my own pancake recipe, but her recipes for the filling and glaze.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes


Ingredients:
  • Cinnamon Filling
    • 4 Tbsp butter, softened
    • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
    • 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • Cream Cheese Glaze
    • 4 Tbsp butter
    • 2 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
    • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Pancakes
    • 2 cups Bisquick (Heart Smart mix)
    • 1 1/4 cup skim milk
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 2 Tbsp sugar
Directions:

Make the cinnamon filling: In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a quart-sized heavy zip baggie and set it aside.


Make the glaze: In a small pan, heat the butter over low heat until melted. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until it is almost smooth. Sift the powdered sugar into the pan, stir and add in vanilla extract. Set the pan aside while you make the pancakes. Instead, I melted the butter in a bowl in the microwave, then added the cream cheese. I didn't whisk very well apparently, because mine was still a bit lumpy.


Prepare the pancake batter: In a medium bowl, mix together the Bisquick, milk and egg. Once it is just moistened, mix in the vanilla extract and the sugar. The batter will be lumpy.

Cook the pancakes: Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-heat and spray with nonstick spray. Add the batter to the pan. Spread the batter into a circle (about 4-inches in diameter). Reduce the heat to medium low. Snip the corner of your baggie of cinnamon filling and squeeze the filling into the open corner. When your pancake begins to form bubbles, add the filling. Starting at the center of the pancake, squeeze the filling on top of the pancake batter in a swirl. I know mine doesn't look nearly as nice as hers, but I figure practice will make perfect. :)


Cook the pancake 2 to 3 minutes, or until the bubbles begin popping on top of the pancake and it's golden brown on the bottom. Slide a thin, wide spatula underneath the pancake and gently, but quickly, flip it over. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the other side is golden as well. When you flip the pancake onto a plate, you will see that the cinnamon filling has created a crater-swirl of cinnamon.


Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, and repeat with the remaining pancake batter and cinnamon filing. Re-warm the glaze briefly, if needed. Serve pancakes topped with a drizzle of glaze. Yuuuuuummmmm.



My next recipe is much more nutritious, if that is more what you are looking for instead. I found this recipe for a Frittata on Annie's Eats' blog. I wasn't crazy about the idea of ham, cheddar and asparagus, so I substituted my own fillings instead. I can't believe in my 30 years that I had never made a frittata until this point! I don't know why really. I guess I thought it would be difficult. In reality, it was so super easy that anyone could handle it, even those Dads wanting to surprise their wives for Mother's Day with a delicious breakfast in bed. ;)

Sausage, Onion, Mushroom Frittata

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 10 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 pkg Portabella mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups sausage, cooked and crumbled (I had leftover sausage I had already cooked earlier in the week, so it made this part easy!)
Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended. Whisk in the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.


Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet set over medium-low heat. Swirl the butter around in the pan a bit so that is completely coats the bottom and sides of the pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, just until fragrant and golden around the edges. 


Add the mushrooms and cook until warmed through. 


Add the sausage and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and give the mixture a quick stir to ensure even distribution of the ingredients.


Increase the heat to medium and allow to cook without stirring. Cook until set around the edges and the center and top are still liquid, about 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Transfer the skillet to the broiler and continue to cook until the top and center are fully cooked, about 3 to 4 more minutes.


Remove from the oven and let cool until set, about 5 minutes. Slice and serve. Delicious!


I hope that you and your family love these recipes as much as we do if you try them!


And just one more wonderful way that I start my day....


...gazing at these darling little faces! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)