Monday, May 28, 2012

Menu Monday #2


A few minor changes to our menu last week, but for the most part we did ok. We ended up eating out twice, at Beef 'O' Brady's and a local BBQ restaurant, The Firehouse Restaurant. I was kind of disappointed with my meal selection at Beef 'O' Brady's. I thought I was picking something that would be lower calorie/fat (I chose a bowl instead of a wrap and chicken instead of steak), but it turns out my choices weren't good ones. The meal was very high in both calories and fat, wrecking my diet for the day. :( It was super tasty, but I'm hoping I don't pay for it on the scale this week! The Firehouse Restaurant had decent BBQ at a nice price. Not my favorite, but a pretty good option if we are craving BBQ. So, I didn't get the chance to attempt homemade pizza yet, but I'm hoping to next weekend!

Sunday: Eat out at Five Guys
I was planning to cook, but the day got away from us and I didn't make it to the grocery store until late, so we decided to eat out instead. We had never been to this restaurant, so we decided to check it out since I was craving a burger. The burger was decent (not the best I have ever had, but good), but the cajun French Fries were the highlight for me! Unfortunately, I kind of felt like crap after the meal. I think my body is adjusting to less sodium and such and can't take it when I eat it now, as I had similar experiences after both of the other nights we ate out last week too! :(

Monday: NY strip steaks topped with poblano pesto, baked sweet potatoes and oven roasted parmesan broccoli
Normally we grill steaks, but with our grill in storage, we have adapted to other cooking techniques. I actually found a pin awhile back that suggested searing steaks on the stovetop, then finishing them in the oven, was the way to go. We tried it and it is actually pretty good! So, that is how I will prepare them tonight. My poblano pesto recipe is hands down both Josh and I's favorite condiment. We could literally eat it on almost anything and be happy, so we will enjoy some tonight! We all love sweet potatoes and these will be delicious topped with a little butter and brown sugar - a good dessert in my opinion! To finish off the meal and add some green to the plate, we'll enjoy some roasted broccoli, which is a tasty treat.

Tuesday: Foil baked salmon with poblano pesto and tomatoes over brown rice with oven roasted asparagus
Salmon is another food we normally like to prepare on the grill, seasoned with Cajun blackening seasoning, but I have been baking it while living here. This recipe is one that I first tried years ago when we lived in Kentucky, and it was just ok for me. At that time I used a store-bought basil pesto, as instructed by the original recipe. I now use some of the poblano pesto (leftover from Monday night) and it elevates this dish to a new level. It is incredibly tasty and one that we like to indulge in often. Added bonus that salmon filets are buy one, get one free at the Fresh Market this month on Tuesdays! :) We all love roasted asparagus, which I find odd for young children, though I am not complaining! Sometimes I also roast some tomatoes with a little shredded parmesan on top if I have extra. Yum.

Wednesday: Melt in Your Mouth Baked Chicken, whole wheat rotini, parmesan stir-fried green beans
This is a new meal we tried a few weeks ago for baked chicken, topped with a mixture of Greek yogurt, shredded parmesan, Adobo seasoning and pepper. Everyone gobbled it up, so it has been a keeper! On the side, rotini (topped with a little poblano pesto if there is still some left - I told you it was good on everything!) and green beans. If you haven't noticed, I either roast or "stir-fry/pan-fry" pretty much every vegetable we eat. I am NOT a fan of boiled or steamed veggies. I never ate them when I was young, and still hate them as an adult. But I LOVE roasted veggies. It is amazing what a difference it makes just in the way you prepare a food!

Thursday: Crockpot Bacon Chicken with couscous and parmesan stir-fried green beans
We tried this recipe last week and it was also a hit with everyone! It was super easy to throw together and cook all day. Lately it has been helpful to have one crockpot meal a week ready to make as we have been doing a lot of house hunting in the evenings. That cuts into my dinner prep time, so having something pretty much ready to go when we arrive back home is a must. I did end up using a packet of dry Spicy Ranch dressing last time, but this time I am going to try it without it. We also ended up eating brown rice instead of the couscous last week, but I will make the couscous this week. The recipe worked great using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I will try to get this one added soon! 

Friday: Trip to Ohio
We'll be traveling to Ohio this weekend for my niece's birthday party. Not sure what will be planned for dinners, but I am sure it will be tasty!

Saturday: Trip to Ohio

Happy menu planning for the week and Happy Memorial Day! We're thankful to all the men and women who have served and are currently serving our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)